The desired candidate will provide administrative support to the school’s HR function with specific responsibility for recruitment. Additional administrative duties will be required to support the school e.g. preparation of annual school development plan; Reception duties. Candidate will undertake recruitment for the school as follows:
- Liaise with relevant staff to prepare advertisements and job specifications.
- Place adverts in relevant media.
- Receive applications and respond to any enquiries about the role advertised
- Prepare an application sheet for panel members
- Arrange the interview schedule in conjunction with department heads and senior staff
- Contact shortlisted candidates and provide them with details of the interview day
- Facilitate the smooth running of the interview day including ‘meet and greet’
- Maintain a register of interviews and ensure that all interview panels have at least one member of staff trained in safer recruitment.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, will be required as well as an attention to detail to ensure vacancy details and interview schedules are accurate.
You will also assist the HR Manager in preparing contract letters and ensuring that pre-employment checks are carried out and completed on time: medical questionnaires, DBS disclosures, references, eligibility to work in the UK.
In addition, you will be responsible for maintaining manual, confidential employment records.
You will also provide support in preparing the school’s annual development plan: typing the whole school plan, and collating and checking departmental plans. Again, accuracy and attention to detail will be required.
Training will be provided on our switchboard and you will be required to act as relief Receptionist on occasions. A good professional appearance and telephone manner will be required as you will be the first point of contact for visitors to the school.
At the end of the 12 month apprenticeship, you will be expected to be able to:
- Undertake administrative and office based tasks as required including filing, photocopying, scanning, setting up interviews and meetings.
- Undertake employment checks.
- Contribute to and support the delivery of a high quality HR service for the school.
- Provide high quality, accurate report typing.
- Act as a first point of contact for potential employees, and answer routine enquiries and refer more complex enquires to the HR Manager.
- Manage the school Reception Desk and provide a professional front-of-house service.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a motivation to learn new skills
- Work as part of a team but also demonstrate initiative.
Training to be provided
- Level 3 Diploma in Business and Administration
- Level 2 Functional Skills Maths
- Level 2 Functional Skills English
- Level 2 Functional Skills ICT
- Experience of working as part of a team in a flexible and cooperative manner
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Windows & Office software including WORD, EXCEL and Outlook
- Good standard of written English with the ability to draft, layout & format reports, correspondence & documents; good understanding of grammar & spelling
- Good typing skills – ideally touch typing
- Organised approach, attentiveness to detail and good planning skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- A good work attendance record, with no health problems likely to impact adversely on performance in post
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information & discretion when handling sensitive information
The preferred candidate will have finished their GCSE or other skills qualifications in English and Maths, though consideration will be given to highly-motivated young people willing to achieve a qualification in Functional Skills (English, Maths & ICT) at Levels 1 & 2.
- A level of maturity commensurate with working in a school environment will be required
- An appreciation of the safeguarding requirements of working in a school environment
- Appreciation of the need for confidentiality
- Willing to learn and develop professionally
- Committed to self-development
- Does what they say they will do when they make a commitment – i.e. show up on time and not let people down
- Values others – understanding of equality and diversity issues
- Excellent telephone manner and communication skills
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with excellent interpersonal skills and a courteous, professional manner
- Confident to take the lead when appropriate
- Committed to collective success
- Creative and innovative
- Flexible approach to work, use of initiative and willingness to take on new tasks
The Apprenticeship pathway will prepare learners to progress to a Level 4 Apprenticeship and move to higher levels of work or enable learners to work unsupervised (e.g. Team Leader, Account Manager).