Working within the team at Harris Academy Orpington you will work with the team supporting the Science Department and the learning of children at the school.
Your work will focus on preparing classrooms and laboratories for Science, lessons, ensuring that equipment and materials (which will include chemicals) are in order.
You will be required to undertake ordering and controlling stocks of consumables for use in lessons and assisting students. You will be required to clean and maintain resources and equipment, as well as carry out routine maintenance checks.
Your role will cover a range of duties including setting up experiments and related resources including laptops, notebooks and iPads ready for use in lessons.
General levels of organisation will enable you to thrive in this position, maintaining stocks and classroom equipment, filing as and when required, provide support in other areas of the Academy.
It is also expected that you will be able to:
- Exercise confidentiality and discretion at all times
- Work using your own initiative within school times
- Assist school staff with resources when required
- Be enthusiastic in developing own expertise and skills
- Undertake professional training and qualifications
It is likely that successful apprentices will take up positions in education establishments such schools, colleges and universities as laboratory or science technicians working to support senior teachers and lecturers in setting up and running educational experiments and carrying out research. Others will be involved in maintaining experimental equipment to ensure that it is serviceable and fit for purpose.
- Pro-active/initiative taking
- Hard working
- Able to build relationship with children
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, both verbally and using written communication.
- Clear English grammar
- Quick learner
- Knowledge of MS Work, MS Excel and MS Outlook an advantage but not essential.
- Ability to effectively manage own time and prioritise work in a demanding environment when required.
A good standard of education, especially in Science, Maths and English.
- An interest in science
- A level of maturity commensurate with working in a school environment will be required.
- Motivated by making a difference to children’s learning & development
- Willing to learn and professionally develop
- Committed to self-development
- Does what they say they will do when they make a commitment – i.e. show up on time and not let people down
- Values others
- Effective communicator – good listener, sincere
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Confident to take the lead when appropriate
- Flexible and adaptable
- Committed to collective success
- Socially adept
- Creative and innovative
Training to be provided
- Level 3 Subsidiary BTEC Diploma in Applied Science
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English
- Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths