You will support the Senior Science Technician with the preparation of equipment and materials, including chemicals, required to maintain and improve the high standard of science lessons provided as follows:
- To setup experiments and related resources, including specialist science equipment.
- In conjunction with the science teachers and Senior Science Technician to advise students on the safe and proper use of tools and equipment and on the correct and safe way to carry out learning activities.
- To assist with the care and welfare of plants and animals in the science area.
- To complete stocktaking using the computerised stock database and assist with the ordering and control of materials, equipment and consumables for use in lessons.
- To assist with the safe storage and auditing of chemicals to Health and Safety/CLEAPSS standards, including the upkeep of the Chemical Inventory.
- To undertake repairs and general maintenance of resource, tools and equipment within competency and to report defects to the Senior Science Technician.
- To undertake basic administration services, including photocopying within the department.
- To keep the work area and science laboratory sinks in a clean, tidy and safe condition.
- To participate in marketing and liaison activities such as Open Evenings. Parents Evenings and departmental events.
- To participate in the academy Professional Development Programme and attend training courses as required.
Training to be provided
- Level 3 Subsidiary BTEC Diploma in Applied Science
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English
- Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths
- Pro-active/initiative taking
- Hard working
- Able to build relationship with children
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, both verbally and using written communication.
- Clear English grammar
- Quick learner
- Knowledge of MS Work, MS Excel and MS Outlook an advantage but not essential.
- Ability to effectively manage own time and prioritise work in a demanding environment when required.
- Experience gained in an educational setting would be advantageous but is not a requirement.
- High degree of professionalism towards role.
- High level of initiative and enthusiasm.
- Calm manner.
- Strong commitment to education and young people.
- Positive role model for children and young people.
- Taking personal responsibility and commitment to providing a quality support service.
- Methodical and organised.
- Commitment to own continuous improvement and development.
- Acceptable professional appearance at all times.
- Maintaining confidentiality on Academy matters.
- Good health and enthusiasm to complete practical duties.
- Wiliness to learn and implement the Academy’s Equality and Diversity and other policies.
A good standard of education, especially in Science, Maths and English.
It is likely that successful apprentices will take up positions in education establishments such schools, colleges and universities as laboratory or science technicians working to support senior teachers and lecturers in setting up and running educational experiments and carrying out research. Others will be involved in maintaining experimental equipment to ensure that it is serviceable and fit for purpose.