Working within the site laboratory you will carry out site-based and laboratory testing for concrete, bituminous material, aggregates and soils.
The results of these tests will be used to improve the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use, and as a quality control check to make sure all materials comply with customer and contract specification.
This is a great opportunity to develop a career within the construction sector, offering you the chance to develop skills and specialisms that are highly sought-after. Within this role you will develop an understanding and knowledge of the implementation of various methods to examine and test materials, including non-destructive testing (NDT). Other duties include:
- On-site material testing, assessing the strength and flexibility of materials when under stress.
- Comply with the site quality system for the materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting.
- Analyse test results and produce reports that inform project engineers and managers against agreed deadlines.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and notify the laboratory manager of any defects requiring attention.
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance.
- Carry out all work in a safe and diligent manner adhering to the companies’ HSE Policy as well as understand and comply with all policies and procedures at all times.
- Responsible for maintaining training records.
The post holder will be required to:
- Participate in the formal apprenticeship scheme, as described above, which will include attendance at Youthforce training sessions to obtain formal academic qualifications required by the companies’ Apprenticeship Development Programme.
- Understand and complete all work-related activities on time.
- Attend and fully participate in regular training, career and development reviews with line management, training staff, and other interested parties.
- The post holder will be expected to keep a work diary outlining their training progress throughout the course of the apprenticeship.
- There will be training to ensure any testing is carried out according to UKAS guidelines.
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers in material testing and related areas. These include:
- Higher Level Apprenticeship in Chemical Science (industrial).
- Level 4 Certificate in Ready Mixed Concrete Technology.
- Level 5 Diploma in Concrete Studies.
This pathway also offers the participant an opportunity to work in a variety of settings, supporting a wide range of engineering projects.
The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.
- Computer literate
- Good literacy, numeracy skills and IT skills
- Good organisational skills
- Strong communication skills
GCSE C grade or above in English and Maths is preferable. Consideration given to those with good experience.
- An interest in construction, science & laboratory testing.
- Ability to lift 25kg samples safely.
- Accurate and meticulous person – Keen eye for identifying problems & defects
- A flair for maths, IT, and science.
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend working as required.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- Creative, innovative, and able to use your initiative
- Committed to self-development.
- A strong team player – help out where needed
- Able to commit to an 18-month apprenticeship programme.
A14 Cambridge between;
- Bar Hill