Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week plus weekend overtime where needed.
Expected duration: 21 months
Closing date: 7th September
Brief overview of the role
Do you want to work for a worldwide, market leading Company? A company that has delivered some of the most iconic projects, globally over the last 100 years, with market leading capabilities across the construction, services and rail sectors? Then we have an amazing opportunity for you.
Working within the site laboratory team you will test the behaviour of bulk construction materials including concrete, aggregates and bituminous materials.
The results of these tests will be used to improve the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use, and to help with the development of new technologies.
This is a unique opportunity to develop a career within the construction sector, offering you the chance to develop skills and specialisms that are highly sought.
Within this role you will develop an understanding and knowledge of the implementation of various methods to examine materials, including non-destructive testing (NDT).
Through training and development provided you will work towards excellence in the following areas:
- Carry out testing on site to assess material strength and flexibility under stress against specification requirements
- Maintain high standards of work and compliance with UKAS accreditation requirements
- Comply with the site quality system for materials testing laboratory, developing an understanding of materials reporting
- Analyse test results and produce reports that inform project engineers and managers against agreed deadlines
- Maintain equipment calibrations and notify the lab manager of any defects requiring attention
- Proactively communicate within the team to ensure effective performance
- To comply with laboratory and site safety procedures
- Responsible for maintaining training records
- A flair for maths and IT
- The ability to use your initiative
- Ability to lift 25kg samples
- An interest in construction, science and laboratory testing
- Proactive in identifying problems and defects
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend working as required
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Willing to travel to various locations across the UK
- Be willing to work outside of a pre-defined scope to help the team move through initiatives
- Committed to self-development
- Accurate and meticulous person
- Creative and innovative
- A strong team player
- 3 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Completed an intermediate (level2) apprenticeship in An Engineering OR Construction Discipline (or equivalent)
- Full UK driving license (due to travelling to different sites within the role)
The apprenticeship provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers in material testing and related areas.
This pathway also offers the participant an opportunity to work in a variety of settings, supporting a wide range of engineering projects.
The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.