Wage: £153.55 per week
Hours: Monday – Friday, 37 hours per week
Location: Leigh-on-Sea, Essex
Expected duration: 23 months
Closing date: 22nd October 2020
Brief overview of the role
We are looking for an exceptional individual to join our Science team to provide technical support that will enable our students to make the most out of their science curriculum. We are a very popular Academy within the local community and have a Good Ofsted rating.
- To work under the direction of an experienced science technician to gain all the knowledge and skills required to perform the duties unsupervised.
- To develop knowledge of Health & Safety, COSHH and ESCC regulations relevant to the role
- To deliver resources and equipment to rooms
- To set out equipment and resources in preparation for lessons
- To collect, check and return equipment to stores
- To clean and clear laboratories of equipment and materials after use, ensuring rooms are left clean, tidy and in good order
- After training and under direct supervision, to prepare chemicals and solutions for school use, ensuring safe handling and storage in line with Health & Safety and COSHH regulations
- After training and under direct supervision, to make up and maintain class sets of equipment, chemicals and resources
- To carry out routine maintenance of equipment, reporting any problems to an experienced technician
- To assist in annual stock checks and spring cleaning of storage areas
- To set up and maintain audio visual aids
- To set up computers and data logging equipment
- To maintain and propagate plants necessary for practical lessons
- After proper First Aid training, to deal with minor incidences in the laboratory and, where necessary, contact school welfare
- To manage any worksheets relating to lessons including filing and photocopying
- After training and under supervision, to use an autoclave to prepare sterile inoculating plates and demonstrate sound sterile techniques
- This job description sets out the expected duties of the post on the completion of the training. The post holder may be required from time to time to undertake other duties within the school as may be reasonably expected without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibilities entailed. This is a common occurrence and would not justify a reconsideration of the grading of the post.
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, and confidentiality, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the Academy
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals
- Attend relevant meetings as required
- Treat all user of the Academy with courtesy and consideration
- Present a positive personal image, contributing to a welcoming Academy environment which supports equal opportunities for all
- Comply with health and safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Promote and ensure the health and safety of pupils, staff and visitors (in accordance with appropriate health and safety legislation) at all times
You will need to be proficient in Microsoft Office, as you will need to update and create spreadsheets as well as log details into systems – although any proprietary software will naturally be taught/shown.
- Interpersonal skills
- Relationship building
- Ability to prioritise
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Maths, English and Science GCSE (or equivalent) grade C/4 or above.
There will be opportunity to develop into a permanent Science Technician role and then to senior technician. There may even be an opportunity to teach science, provided you have the basic necessary qualifications to do so.
Things to consider
Please note, candidates living within a 1 hour commute radius of the vacancy location will be prioritised. There is some lifting although not heavy and the individual does have to move around the Academy
You will be working term-time only, therefore 13 weeks holiday per year. You will be paid 39 plus 5.6 weeks for the holiday and pro-rated over the year to give equal monthly payments.