Hours: Monday – Friday, 36 hours per week
Location: Carshalton, SM5 1RW
Expected duration: 24 months
Brief overview of the role
To undertake training in all aspects of the school laboratory, providing assistance to technical staff and teachers through a broad range of assigned duties, under the daily supervision of suitably qualified/experienced technical staff.
To perform the following under the appropriate individual supervision of suitably qualified/experienced technical staff:
- To primarily assist in the support of teaching staff in the process of their day as directed by the Head of Departments via the Science Technician Manager.
- Under direction and training, prepare materials, plates, stock and standard solutions, gases, specimens and apparatus for lesson requirements. Replenish reagent bottles as necessary.
- Under direction and training carry out risk assessment for own technician activities.
- Delivering equipment to rooms, assisting with setting out equipment and materials for laboratory/department use.
- Clear classroom demonstrations and activities ensuring laboratories are kept clean and tidy, cleaning bench surfaces and sinks as necessary after lessons.
- Obtaining materials by local purchase if and when necessary.
- Under direction and training, assist with maintenance and safety checks in accordance with instructions and agreed Codes of Practice.
- To adhere to School and Departmental Health & Safety policies and procedures.
- Under direction and training ensure that equipment and chemicals are kept stored in a safe and appropriate manner consistent with the Health and Safety CLEAPPS /Hazard Card policies and as directed (collating, checking, stocktaking and returning chemicals and equipment to stores).
- Assist with maintenance and care of aquaria, plant and animals during term-time.
- Assist with exhibitions and displays for school events; Open days, festivals, school plays, fetes, etc.
- Assist with stock-taking operations as required.
- Other appropriate technician duties as requested by the Science Technician manager.
- Undertake training as necessary.
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade of the post and the level of competence demonstrated by the individual post holder as may be delegated by the Technician Manager from time to time.
- You may be required to carry out additional duties, as the Principle may reasonably request from time to time.
- To be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people for those you have responsibility for and for those whom you come into contact with.
- To comply with the schools and science department Health, and Safety Policies, undertaking risk assessments as appropriate.
- To work within the school’s Equality and Diversity Policy.
- Employees have a high degree of responsibility for the children and young people that they will come into contact with.
- A strong desire to work in a scientific environment essential
- Strong practical and organisation skills
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently where required
- Ability to adapt quickly and effectively to changing circumstances/situations
- Working knowledge of ICT
- An ability to work with minimal supervision on administrative or technical tasks
- An enquiring and analytical mind
As this is a level 3 qualification, we would require a C or equivalent in GCSE Maths, Science and English.
The Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship is a widely recognised qualification that gives apprentices the potential to consider a variety of laboratory-based fields