Wage: £17,017 p/a
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week (term-time only)
Location: Bexhill -on- Sea, East Sussex
Expected duration: 24 months
Closing date: 2nd July 2021
Prospective starting date: 1st September 2021
Brief overview of the role
A Science Laboratory Technician is required to join a friendly and successful Science Department. We are looking for someone who will show initiative and contribute to the smooth running of the department. Relevant experience and qualifications are desirable.
Under the supervision of the Subject Leader/Senior Science Technician, to co-ordinate the use of practical resources and facilities, and provide assistance and advice in meeting the practical needs of the science curriculum, including liaising with teaching staff and support staff outside the department.
- To ensure the maintenance of a healthy and safe working environment through:
- actively contributing to the assessment, monitoring and review of both health and safety procedures and information resources
- keeping up-to-date with current procedures and practices through continuing professional development
- the provision of technical advice and support on health and safety issues to teaching and trainee teachers
- the safe treatment and disposal of used materials including hazardous substances and responding to actual or potential hazards
- the healthy and safe storage and accessibility of equipment and materials.
- To carry out health and safety and risk assessments relating to laboratory work and apply COSHH regulations and assessments.
- To assist the Subject Leader/Senior Technician with the day to day organisation and development of trainee staff to ensure that essential performances standards are achieved.
- To contribute to the design, development and maintenance of specialist resources and/or long term projects.
- To support the Subject Leader/Senior Technician in ensuring the availability of suitable materials and equipment, helping to compile orders and liaising or negotiating with suppliers and the Finance department. This will include sourcing, costing and suggesting economic alternatives to maintain stock levels. Keeping up-to-date records of stock.
- Under the overall guidance of the Senior Technician, to ensure that both routine and non-routine checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment are carried out to the required standard.
- To assist in practical classes and carry out demonstrations.
- To manage the preparation and maintenance of teaching resources for science staff.
- To support extra-curricular activities providing equipment and advice, when needed.
- To carry out the above duties in accordance with the Education Department’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Ability to carry out risk assessments in relation to laboratory work.
- Ability to maintain a range of tools and equipment.
- Ability to prepare equipment and materials for lessons, as requested by the teaching staff.
- Ability to work in an organised and methodical manner.
- Ability to identify work priorities and manage own workload within agreed parameters
- Ability to establish positive relationships with pupils, including those with special educational needs.
- Ability to converse at ease with colleagues and provide advice in accurate spoken English.
- Ability to maintain accurate work records and inventories.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to demonstrate commitment to Equal Opportunities.
- Willingness to participate in further training and developmental opportunities offered by the school, Teaching School and Local Authority, to further knowledge.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation as it relates to the work of a school.
- Knowledge of COSHH and ESCC regulations in relation to the safe handling and storage of chemicals.
- Knowledge of safe working practices in relation to the handling and usage of hazardous equipment and tools.
- Some knowledge of National Curriculum requirements.
- Grade C in GCSE Maths and Science (or equivalent) is mandatory
- Grade C or equivalent in English is an advantage.
- Progression to R.Sci.Tech.
- Job in the school.
- Advancement to senior positions or to teacher training.
Things to consider
- Please note, candidates living within a 1 hour commute radius of the vacancy location will be prioritised