Wage: £11,853.00 – £14,992.00
Hours: Monday – Friday, 36 hours per week
Location: Ashford, Middlesex
Expected duration: 23 months
Brief overview of the role
The Science Technician Apprentice will work and train as part of a team of technicians servicing laboratories, preparing materials and equipment for demonstrations and practical lessons as requested by teaching staff.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and set out equipment to support teaching staff in undertaking demonstrations and experiments and to manage the safe acquisition, storage and disposal of equipment and chemicals used in the delivery of the science curriculum.
- Clear up and washing up in laboratories and handle chemicals and equipment.
- Check on general equipment in laboratories and stationary stocks, replenishing as necessary.
- Carry out minor repairs within levels of competence and safety on apparatus and equipment.
- Carry out basic administrative tasks as required such as photocopying, printing, filing, conveying messages, creating displays of information and undertaking administration to support senior staff in the department.
- Carry out relevant tasks that may be requested by more senior staff or the Head of Department from time to time.
- Ability to adapt quickly and effectively to changing circumstances/situations
- Working knowledge of ICT
- An ability to work with minimal supervision on administrative or technical tasks
- An enquiring and analytical mind
- Good inter-personal skills
- Hardworking and committed
- Proactive and adaptable
- Attention to detail
- Able to work alone or in a team
- Uphold and support THPT Policies and procedures on the Safeguarding of young people
Level C or equivalent in GCSE Maths, English and Science
The Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship is a widely recognised qualification that gives apprentices the potential to consider a variety of laboratory-based fields.
Training to be provided
Training and development may include:
- Induction Training
- On Job Training
- Familiarisation with THPT policies and practice
- Support Staff Performance Management Programme
- Safeguarding Training
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician standard
- Level 2 Functional Skills (English)
- Level 2 Functional Skills (maths)