Wage: £12,000 – £14000
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week plus overtime where needed.
Expected duration: 21 months
Brief overview of the role
During the construction of large civil engineering projects, many different types of materials are used. These materials must be tested so that the engineers can have confidence that the finished project will work as the project designers intended. Over the course of the apprenticeship, you will learn the skills required to test these materials.
White Rose Laboratory Services Ltd is a small independent testing laboratory formed in 2014.
Our small size means this is an interesting, friendly and varied place to work.
You’ll start by shadowing experienced technicians, then with a bit of training, move on to working under supervision. Eventually you’ll be capable of working independently.
Your duties will involve:
- testing concrete, aggregate and soil samples in the laboratory,
- following standard testing procedures. You’ll perform the test,
- calculating the results
- turning in your work for checking and reporting.
- Good numeracy
- The ability to follow standard procedures methodically
- Good attention to detail
- Eager to learn and improve
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually
- Grade C in GCSE Maths and Science (or equivalent) is mandatory
- Grade C or equivalent in English is an advantage.
The apprenticeship provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers in material testing and related areas.
This pathway also offers the participant an opportunity to work in a variety of settings, supporting a wide range of engineering projects.
The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.