Established in 1996, Southdowns Environmental Consultants Ltd is one of the UK’s leading independent firms of acoustics, noise, vibration and air quality consultants. With an impressive portfolio of national and international projects, a track record in delivering clients’ objectives and a team of specialists tailored to resource both large and small projects, Southdowns is a recognised leader in remote environmental monitoring. The scale of our environmental monitoring activities has required the development of bespoke and unique management systems which meet our ISO 9001:2015 certification requirements. Our reputation is built upon the principles of expertise, client focus, delivery, quality and added value.
Brief overview of the role
The role of the equipment technician is to install, service fix and generally manage our fleet of environmental noise, vibration and air quality monitors in accordance with the principles of our quality management systems and company commitment to customer service.
During the apprenticeship you will work as part of our dedicated Equipment and Data Management Team. We offer a friendly, flexible working environment and are committed to continuous professional and personal development.
The successful applicant will be required to travel within the South East of England and London, with occasional travel beyond.
- To work with and assist other employees in providing a cost-effective monitoring service in accordance with good professional practice, company policy and standards.
- To provide technical support to other consultants and Directors and represent the company as part of the environmental equipment team.
- To manage and complete specific tasks in accordance with project requirements.
- To assist with office and administrative activities.
- To assist in the management and maintenance of company IT and other office facilities.
- Downloading of data from remote monitors, data processing and analysis;
- provision of general support to the in-house team of consultants;
- Companywide responsibility as equipment team member providing support to, and acting on delegated instructions from, Equipment Team Members, including:
- Preparing and testing of monitoring equipment prior to deployment;
- Supporting the equipment team with the installation, and decommissioning of monitoring equipment;
- Providing support to field technician(s) with the servicing and maintenance of installed monitoring equipment;
- Undertaking remote equipment checks;
- Maintaining reporting schedule records;
- Maintaining calibration and equipment service records;
- Maintaining equipment activity records;
- Maintaining engineer site visit records;
- Actioning, resolving and verifying equipment faults;
- Assisting with the co-ordination equipment calibrations;
- Co-operation with resourcing manager and project managers on field technician team activities;
- Providing Support with the overall management and maintenance of equipment assets.
Requirements and prospects
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Numeracy and good IT with an understanding of general computer software packages inc. Microsoft Office.
- Problem solving and practical
- Self-motivation, organised and thorough
- Individual and team working
- Customer service and commercial awareness
- Enthusiastic and reliable
- On completion of in-house training and inductions, ability to conduct occupational and field surveys, install, maintain and manage equipment monitoring systems on completion of in-house training and inductions. This job role requires some manual lifting.
- Flexibility to work outside normal working hours to meet clients’ needs and to conduct site surveys during bank holiday, weekend and night-time hours.
- Ability to communicate well with colleagues, clients and other parties on issues relevant to company services.
- Ability to assist in the preparation and presentation of technical and commercial information to clients in a competitive consultancy market.
- Ability to adopt Company management procedures and meet project financial, reporting and time constraints.
- B+ or equivalent grade in GCSE Maths, English and Science;
- Clean driving licence for travel to site.
Following successful completion of the 21-month Apprenticeship, we will continue to provide professional development support and mentoring with the prospects of development as a service engineer within our Equipment and Data Management Team.