About the employer:
Eurofins | BLC is a world-leading technology business specialising in testing products such as footwear, handbags, furniture and jewellery for physical durability and content of restricted substances.
Analysis of leathers, textiles and polymers for a wide range of restricted substances at low concentrations according to international test methods using various solvent extraction and matrix clean-up procedures to prepare the test samples followed by their analysis using advanced laboratory instrumentation.
- Deconstructing consumer products such as shoes and handbags into their individual components
- Cutting and grinding the product components and pre-production swatches using industrial grinding machinery
- Accurately weighing specified amounts of the ground or chopped sample into a range of method-specific containers and labelling them with the unique sample identity and precise weight
- Preparing liquid extracts from the samples using standardized solvent extraction and solid-phase extraction (SPE) clean-up procedures
- Identifying and quantifying the specific restricted substances in the sample extracts using advanced analytical instrumentation such as gas chromatography with mass spectroscopy and electron capture (GC-MS and GC-ECD), liquid chromatography (HPLC), ion chromatography and UV-visible spectrophotometry
- Processing the raw analytical data and maintaining analytical quality control charts
- Maintaining a clean and tidy laboratory
- Performing any other reasonable duties to assist the analytical testing team and the business.
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with colleagues
- Adherence to the highest standards of precision, accuracy and record keeping for maintaining our UKAS accreditation for a wide range of methods
- Initiative and an ability to multi-task and plan work effectively to meet strict deadlines
- Competence in using Microsoft Office software
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s grade C or above must include English, Maths and Sciences
- Ideal candidate a minimum of 2 A Levels or equivalent in a related subject such as Chemistry, Physics or Maths
Desired personal qualities
- Positive attitude with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment reflecting the high sample volume of this market-leading commercial laboratory
- Accountability and responsibility
- A flexible approach to working additional hours when required